Embassy of the Republic of Indonesian Free Gamelan Class with Nusantara Arts
Free Introductory 10 week gamelan music course
Class Fees: Free, Ages 16+
When: Sundays 6-8pm
Starting: August 8th
Where: 331 Normal Ave, on the corner of Rhode Island st. in Buffalo’s West Side. Former Church
We would like to invite you to join a special new 10 week introductory educational music class sponsored by The Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia and Nusantara Arts. We will be discussing and practicing basic to intermediate gamelan percussion music skills and methods in an inclusive fun environment! This is a class appropriate for beginner as well as advanced musicians who are interested in learning about Indonesian gamelan music and culture. By the end of the 10 week class class participants will be able to play 2-3 gamelan music compositions with a group of musicians.
Only Fully Vaccinated Individuals may join class at this time.
Class Topics will include but are not limited to:
- Basic introduction to gamelan instruments, form and function.
- Cultural contexts of gamelan music genres and related art forms like wayang and dance.
- How to hold mallets properly and play several gamelan instruments.
- How to listen to gamelan music as a player and listener.
- Structure of a gamelan music piece.
- How do devise elaborating parts on Peking and Bonang instruments.
- How to play 2-3 gamelan songs
Feel free to Email us with any questions or concerns about gamelan class. We are looking forward to meeting you!